Tuesday, July 23, 2013

Best Tomato Sandwich, Ever.

I baked a fresh loaf of bread for a tomato, yeah you heard me right I busted out flour, yeast, and salt, mixed, kneaded, waited, kneaded again and baked it all for a tomato. Why you may ask, why would you bake a whole loaf of bread for a tomato? Well that's a fabulous question, because this, my friend is the tomato in question, a gigantic, glorious, perfectly ripe mid-July tomato fit for royalty.


When you make a sandwich with only five ingredients, those five ingredients need to be perfect, or at least pretty darn close. That being said, this is my favorite sandwich of all time and because of the imperative nature of the ingredients the window for making this sandwich lasts for about a month. maybe two a year.  I used a very simple french bread recipe out of my trusty Julia Child cook book, it's a lot easier than you think! For the filling I lovingly placed in between the toasted baguette, slices of my juicy tomato, fresh basil from my garden, fresh mozzarella from the farmers market and coated each side of the bread with copious amounts of aged balsamic vinegar. I tried so hard to savor this culinary masterpiece fit for the gods but it vanished in about 45 seconds, guess I'll just have to make another!


No comments:

Post a Comment