Friday, February 7, 2014

Old Fashioned Chewy Granola Bars

I've been craving granola bars fiercely lately but not just any granola bar, Oh no it has to be a chewy oat bar with mini chocolate chips.  There were several bars that fit this criteria at the store and even some organic options however when I started reading the epic nutritional label of ingredients I hung my head, saddened by my lack of instant gratification. When I got home, I busted open my cupboard looking for a fix. I just can't eat something loaded with sugar and canola oil when there is a suitable easy solution lurking in my kitchen. Now because of the chocolate chips there is a minimum amount of sugar but the rest of the bar is sweetened with honey, if you want a complete refined sugar free solution a dried fruit can easily be substituted.

2 1/2 C oats
1/3 C honey
1/3 C peanut or almond butter
1/4 C coconut butter- coconut oil can also be used but I like coconut butter because it has a little more body to it.
1 tsp. vanilla
1/2 C mini chocolate chips I like the enjoy life brand 3 ingredients and dairy free

Look at that we just went from about 20 ingredients to 6 well 8 technically, dreams come true! 

Place oats on a baking sheet and toast for 5-10 minutes on @350. You'll want them lightly toasted but not toasty, make sense?

While that's  happening melt honey, pb and coconut butter on low heat and mix together, add vanilla. Once it's melted set aside and let it cool slightly.

By now the oats should be toasted take those bad boys out and let them cool. At this point you can mix everything together and get on with life but I like to let everything cool first so the chocolate chips don't melt. I am not a fan of melted chips but that's just me.

When everything is mixed up and ready to go place a piece of parchment in a 8x8 pan then fill in the oat mixture evenly. Ok here's the most important part, press the mixture down and I mean press that like you're ironing a shirt to wear to meet your favorite celebrity or spiritual deity whichever is more motivating. It will be a bit wonky at first but make sure it's all uniformly pressed, I like to press then spin the pan and press from a different direction, whatever works!

Then all you have to do is let them sit in the fridge for 2 hours, after that cut 'em up and eat them! They will stay in an airtight container for a week or in the fridge for 2 weeks (if they last that long!)





No comments:

Post a Comment