Wednesday, August 21, 2013

8 Tips For Making Hair Care Products From Fresh Herbs

I met a lovely woman a few months back at a seed swap and she shared with me her way of washing her hair. Basically she walks around her garden in late summer collecting herbs, puts them in a container, covers them with vinegar and lets them sit for a year before she pulls it out to use as a shampoo. The whole ordeal sounded so romantic to me, and her hair looked nice -not what I would expect from someone who said they never washed their hair with regular shampoo. I'm not ready to completely give up my coconut milk shampoo but with an abundance of herbs and a surplus of cool jars I thought I'd give it a try. After some trial an error and loads of research here are some useful tips to making a good hair rinse/shampoo:
1. I use it more as a rinse once a week after washing
2. Use whatever mix you want but rosemary is the herb that really conditions and strengthens so try to use that as a base and throw in lavender or sage for fragrance
3.Wash all herbs really well, the last thing you want is a bug in your shampoo!
4. All parts of plants have different qualities and purposes, it takes a little longer but it's well worth it to pick the leaves off the stem first. 
5. You don't have to wait a year, a week will work just fine
6. Use plain white or apple cider vinegar
7. Store in a dark cool place, heat and light can rob herbs of their potency.
8. Strain before using

I



No comments:

Post a Comment